The road to Deadfall

Upon entering Blackridge you're told you can go anywhere in town, just stay away from that giant chemical plant.

Sure.

Seeing Earthbound guards on the perimiter patrol only stoked my curiosity further. I'm still not sure what the deal is with the Earthbound, except that they're the jerks who destroyed Monkeytown, which is a good enough reason to shoot them on sight. Of course they are up to No Good and after a couple of excursions into the interior of the chemical plant, during which I shot quite a few of them, I was told that I'd put a stop to their evil schemes.

It didn't feel like it. It's a recurring feeling – from Blackridge to The Repository to Tannerfield and even Trader's Flat – that the storylines in these towns seem to come to weirdly abrupt and inconclusive endings.

What there is is often good. Tannerfield is nicely atmospheric, with some clever ideas, good locations and a narrative that was clearly inspired by The Shadow over Innsmouth. Similarly the chemical plant in Blackridge is instantly one of my favourite interior locations in the game, with a terrific vertical layout.

I'm left with the impression that there should be more to these towns, and perhaps there is and it's locked away behind faction missions or repeatable content for level 45s. I've just hit level 43. I'm making more use of crafting to up my xp than I have been but I'm not confident of a smooth run to 45 with only Brigg's Point left as an unexplored neutral town, and that definitely feels like an endgame hub.

I'll still make it to Deadfall though, one way or another. 

 

Comments