First impressions, last impressions

As I write this there's only five hours before Fallen Earth goes offline. The server is currently down for the regular scheduled maintenance, and when it comes back up the game will run until midday PDT.

Probably. So far as I know the only confirmation of this time came from Matt Scott of Little Orbit in-game on Saturday. There's still nothing on the forums to nail down anything beyond some time today.

I've made it to level 45, mostly via xp from crafting, and while I could kick myself for not making use of that sooner – because if I had I'd have likely made it to 55 – it's high enough to explore the later zones.

Deadfall

For some reason I always assumed Deadfall would be green. It's really not. The upper half of Deadfall is dead, and the irradiated wildlife only underline the impression of a polluted wasteland. It's the first area where – on a large scale – the eco-system feels entirely wrecked.

The lower half of Deadfall is not as bleak, and feels more like the preceding sectors. It also keeps bizarrely reminding me of Westfall, in World of Warcraft, due to the colouring of the hills combined with the similarity of the name.

Los Alamos, the sector capital, is very impressive when first seen from afar. Closer up it's an interesting environment, though with a few too many invisible walls for my liking.

Terminal Woods

This is a much more densely wooded region than Kaibab Forest, and it's a great looking zone. The way the main road through the zone runs along the edge of the valley makes for a very scenic ride.

Alpha County

Mordor.

A few days ago I thought Tannerfield was the worst place to live in Fallen Earth, what with the desolate landscape, lurking cultists, blood sucking monsters and the other blood sucking monsters.

How wrong I was. Alpha County is Mordor overrun by the Devouring Earth, and I only regret that since I'm underlevelled for the missions I can't ask the denizens of Shackleton why anyone would want to live there.

Shackleton itself is very distinctive, though like Los Alamos there seems to be more invisible walls than in the original zones. The zone looks interesting, and dangerous, and is undeniably the most straight up sci-fi environment in the game.

Epsilon

I reached Epsilon only early this morning, so I'll be exploring that zone, and further exploring the others, this afternoon and up until the game goes offline. The vagueness of Fallen Earth's sector maps means I will likely miss some areas of interest since I have no missions to lead me to them, but I can't think of a better way to pass the last hours of this game than in wandering the wastelands and seeing what's still out there.

Comments