Stepping off the treadmill

There's only so far that mass murder will take you before it starts to get boring.

In the last ten days or so (real time, not /played time) I've racked up a dozen levels. Since I'm currently another dozen short of the level cap and there's only a day or so* before the game goes offline I think it's safe to say I won't make it to 55.

Brigg's Point is, as I suspected, all about group content. Veteran mobs I can kill. Boss mobs I can (usually) kill. Master mobs I don't even try, because they have ludicrously high health.

Which leaves me with little to do, so far as missions go, and I don't intend to spend my last day shooting cultists over and over again.

The fault is not with the game. I'd intentionally taken an unconventional levelling path once I decided to stay neutral, and there's just not enough neutral/solo content in S3 to see me to 45. At least not at this pace. Had I made more use of crafting as a source of xp it would have been a different story, but crafting being on a timer it's too late to take (much) advantage of that now.

Levelling was always a means to an end though, and if I'm locked out of some of the mission content I'm not locked out of the zones themselves. Back at the start of this journey I wrote that Fallen Earth is a game that can be entirely involving without having a single quest open, or any objective other than being in the world and finding out what's over that next hill.

At level 43 (nearly 44, thanks to craft xp) I can probably survive most of the casual aggro I'll pull in my explorations. I'll take my chances with that, and after weeks of being covered in scrap metal armor I'll take my chances on that too and wear gear I like for its looks and not its stats.

Deadfall awaits.

*I say a day or so because as of right now Little Orbit hasn't announced an exact time when the game will go offline. The most likely time appears to be tomorrow's maintenance – which would be about 4AM Pacific time – but it's not confirmed.

Comments