Into the unknown

After six days in-game – which is longer than I've spent on any single character in any other game since I levelled my original 50s in City of Heroes a decade ago, and longer than I've spent on a character in Fallen Earth since 2011 or so – I'm entering new and unfamiliar territory. From here on everything is new to me.

This has its drawbacks, under the circumstances. One of the things I like most about Fallen Earth is that it doesn't follow the modern MMO quest hub model too closely. Yes, there are quest hubs, but as I've said before there's plenty of other locations out there, off the beaten track, to be discovered during idle wandering and exploration. It's something that makes the world feel so much more real.

It's also not very helpful when I'm looking for my next quests in order to keep levelling up.

I'm level 38, which puts most of the remaining neutral towns in Sector 3 out of reach for now. Papermill, where I am at the moment, might get me to 39, but I'm starting to reconsider my decision to stay neutral, and I may head up to Chemtown and enlist with the Techs. Aside from anything else I'm curious about the town full of zombies to the far north, and if anyone is offering quests up there I assume it'll be the Techs.

With 5 days to go it's looking unlikely I'll make it to 55. At my fastest it would take another 72 hours in-game, and since I do plan on sleeping between now and the day the game goes offline that's not really feasible. At this point I'll settle for reaching a level that allows me to at least explore the later zones without being killed if a mob so much as looks at me, so maybe 45 or so.

That's my current thinking, but it may change depending on my experience over the next day or two.  I don't know for sure, because right now, for the first time in a long time, I have no idea what's waiting for me at the end of the road.

 

Comments