Pointy ears not included

I stroll among the trees of Kaibab Forest, dressed mainly in green and brown, while idyllic music plays and enemies die to my superior marksmanship and... wait, am I turning into an elf?

Really, the soundtrack in some parts of S3 wouldn't be out of place in LOTRO, and while wandering through the forest and admiring the scenery I was attacked by a boar – and you can't get more LOTRO than that.

Sector Three is off to a more leisurely start than Sector Two. In Northfields I spent too long in and around New Flagstaff, shooting it out with one or another faction of human enemies. Dieseltown, the first hub in S3, offers a wider variety of stories and enemies, and the scenery feels more varied, though that may be in part due to the dense forest breaking up line of sight which the flat open plains around NF did not do.

There's also a lot less missions which are recommended for groups, which may explain why the going has been (relatively) smooth so far.

That's making me wonder. It's been about 7 years since I was last in S3, and yet I distinctly remember my progress slowing to a crawl in the mid-to-late level 30s (I'm 33 now) due to only having a limited number of very tough quest options open to me. This time around I'm benefitting from the premium xp boost that Little Orbit activated for all characters about a week ago, which is, I think, slightly better than the default xp rate was back then, when I was a subscriber. Perhaps that will carry me over any rough spots.

I've been here before, but so long ago, and for such a short time, it's starting to feel new again. S1 I know well, and S2 I mostly remembered, but S3 is almost uncharted territory, and that is something I always enjoy in any MMO.

 

Comments