The enemy of my enemy... is also my enemy

Sector Two is where the player factions become part of the game. As I've decided to stay neutral on this run I've only been dealing with NPC factions, of which there are several, and it leads to some odd situations.

In New Flagstaff I did some work for the Union. At the same time I was also working with those opposed to the Union, so I'd spy on the rebels one moment and then, at the behest of those same rebels, go shoot up a Union lab. Fair enough – as I've said before Fallen Earth is umambiguous about the almost entirely mercenary motivations of player characters, and working for both sides is entirely in keeping with that. Some NPCs even voice their suspicions, remarking that they've heard clones have been working for the other side.

Well yes, but that was at least fifteen minutes ago.

Where it does become a little absurd is in the conflict between the Human League and the mutant faction Shiva's Favoured. On a couple of occassions I've found myself standing in one of their camps, surrounded by the corpses of my latest kills and talking to a questgiver of that faction who is now asking me to go and kill members of the faction that sent me to kill them in the first place.

Life is cheap in the post-apocalyptic world, but this does strain credibility.

The six player factions react to your actions and once you start doing missions for one faction then the opposing faction will inevitably turn hostile to you. A similar system for the NPC factions would add some realism to events, though this would run the risk of turning several of the neutral quest hubs into no-go zones.

Still, actions should have consequences, and it wouldn't be a bad thing to occassionally have to think about those consequences before pulling the trigger.

 

Comments