A need for speed


24 hours ago I was in Rest Stop and level 12. I'm now level 17 and finally finished Pass Chris.

Since I'm focusing on the main storyline quests I spent little time in Kingman, and only slightly more in Needle Eye. Pass Chris isn't really any tougher, except for the final stage of the ATV quest, which is much harder than the surrounding quests and which has accounted for about half of the 18 deaths I've accrued in the last 24 hours.

So I put that on hold for a time and went to level up around Coppermine, Mowbray and Pinkston, and eventually Watchtower. While doing that I crafted better guns and better armor, to improve my chances when I returned to Pass Chris.

I don't actually want an ATV – I prefer my horse – but it's an essential step toward crafting a motorcycle, and I do want one of them, not just for style, but because there's a lot of ground still to cover.

Style is taking second place to survival in my armor. I've always been quite picky about the look of my gear, but pushing ahead as I am I need to equip myself with the best stuff I can make. I've been pouring points into my Intelligence and Perception to keep my crafting skills maxed out, so I'll see if I get the benefit of that.

I'm also using the vaults now, which until recently I hadn't been. I was doing a lot of small crafts and it was faster and more convenient to keep everything on me (or on my horse) rather than running back and forth to the nearest town to access my materials. This was never going to be sustainable indefinitely – Fallen Earth is generous with bag space, but once you start collecting tier 2 materials in addition to the tier 1 materials you're still using those 64 slots fill up fast.

48 hours in. I've played more Fallen Earth in the past two weeks than I did in the year before this latest run began. I should hit Sector 2 in the next day or so, and since it's been about five years since I was last there it'll almost seem new again, though my goal, by the end of this run, is to reach the areas beyond Sector 3, where I've never been.

 

Comments