Life is cheap, bullets are expensive

I've been following the main questlines and they've taken me to New Toro, which is essentially the finale of Sector One. Overrun by hordes of mutants it's a fitting final dungeon – so to speak – being dark, atmospheric and challenging. I'm fairly satisfied with my current performance, being able to kill the bosses in New Toro (most of the time) and only dying when I ran out of ammo.

Which, admittedly, I did. Several times.

When I first played Fallen Earth I would wince when I missed a shot – not so much because it was damage undealt but because it was a waste of a bullet, and bullets weren't easy to come by. It's not as hard to keep guns loaded now as it was back then – there's been some changes to double the output of each ammo crafting, and ammo weighs a lot less than it used to – but it's still something that needs to be managed. In a densely populated location like New Toro and the surrounding area it's easy to use a lot of bullets in a very short time.

The real reason it's a challenge though is that I'm setting a faster pace than I ever have before. With the clock still counting down toward the game going offline I'm now on my way up to Sector Two after only 60 hours. That sounds like a lot, but if I was going at my usual pace and running more of the quests in more of the towns I pass through I'd probably be looking at close to double that before I started the long drive through the wastelands to Northfields, and I'd have had that much more crafting time before I did so.

The clock is ticking. I still expect to reach Sector Three, but will I finish it and make it through to Deadfall? Terminal Woods? Alpha County? I'm starting to think that I might not. I was last in Sector Two in 2012, so I've little recollection of how fast this run will be, and that's assuming I don't get distracted and wander off to explore some interesting sight on a distant horizon.

Which I almost certainly will.

Comments