Meanwhile, 15 years ago...

I'm doing some Issue 0 levelling, so I'm only taking missions from contacts that were in the game at launch. One reason I'm doing this is because I never really did much of this on live, with my 1-50 run spent mostly on content that was introduced and/or revamped later on – the Hollows, Faultline, Croatoa and so on.

I've already talked about the way City of Heroes encourages alts through character creation, but it does so by the levelling content as well. There's a ton of content in this game, and unusually for an MMO there were regular updates across the full range of levels, not just the endgame – which makes sense since for most of its run CoH didn't really have an endgame as such.

This is particularly noticeable in the Hero game, or blueside as it's more commonly referred to by players. Blueside has a lot of zones, and whatever level you are there's likely to be at least two that are on level for you at that point. Story arcs are divided up by contact rather than zone, so there's no push to do a full zone start to finish in order to experience the full story, as is common in other MMOs.

No two characters will ever level in exactly the same way, and for me that's part of the fun – finding alternative levelling paths and, in this case, discovering what snippets of story and background are hidden away in these 2004 era missions.


Comments