24 Hours In... Fallen Earth

Fallen Earth is a post-apocalypse MMO released in 2009. It's the only MMO I've ever played at launch, and my enjoyment of it at that time was only slightly marred by the fact that my PC could barely run it... at least on the higher graphics settings.

I suppose it's one of the advantages of the genre being mostly dominated by older titles, that MMOs tend to be less demanding than current-gen titles. My current PC has no problem running this game on the highest settings.

Over the years the game has passed from Icarus Studios – the original developers – to GamersFirst in 2011, and then to Little Orbit in 2018. It's undeniably a niche title, and there have been a couple of times over the years when I've feared that it would shut down, but I think it's in safe hands now.

I'm glad of that. With the return of City of Heroes I can no longer say that Fallen Earth is my absolute favourite MMO, but it's still right up there. There's a few things that this game does better than any other MMO I've played, and there's nothing else quite like it out there.

Comments