Tomb Raiders of the Lost City of the Gold Monkey

Sometimes a fedora is just a fedora...

At the end of my last run of Secret World Legends I wrote that when I returned to this game I'd be moving on to Egypt, and might make some changes to my character's appearance when I got there...

I'm feeling the need for a fedora, and possibly a white suit...

A couple of hours into the Scorched Desert I encountered an individual who not only wears a white suit and a fedora, but has dialogue that refers to this in his introductory scene. As SWL is such a story heavy game I've always tried to avoid spoilers – mostly sucessfully – and while I recognized Said by name as a character I've seen other players refer to, I'd had no idea what he looked like.

So I wasn't him I was thinking of when I wrote that prior post; even if it rather reads rather like I was. I was actually thinking of Paul Freeman's character from Raiders of the Lost Ark; and it's clear that the team at TSW/SWL were thinking of that movie as well during the development of this zone. In Egypt the mood leans as much into pulp adventure as it does the Lovecraftian horror of Solomon Island, and the Scorched Desert offers up all the things you'd expect – ancient tombs, giant scorpions, cultists in headscarves and, of course, mysterious individuals in white suits. It's all very well done, and the hub town, with its marketplace, flat roofed buildings and narrow alleyways, is a pleasure to explore.

SWL brings all of this pulpy goodness into the modern day and is not quite as stereotypical as the pulps of old – in one scene the cult leader referred to another character as a heretic; if they were really going for it he'd surely have called him an infidel.


Comments