I'm not a roleplayer, but...

There's a reason I went to the Hollows on this character.

In City of Heroes there's a space in your character profile to write a backstory. Other players can read what you write there and it can be a lot of fun to just hang out in a busy hub like Atlas Park and profile snoop, seeing what other players have come up. It's been over a decade but I still remember the first other hero I ever saw, in Outbreak – his name was Mr. Meme and he got his power from the internet.

I don't always give my characters a bio, even though I'll admit to having created characters in the past mainly so that I could write up their profile. Johnny Hard, Dr. Download, the Atom Bomb Beast... gone but not forgotten.

Tempter is the first character of this new era of the game that I've actually given a bio, in part because she's also the first of my new characters to be inspired by an enemy faction. Two factions, in this case, since she's a demon who used to run with the Hellions until she was possessed by a different demon of the Circle of Thorns. The Hollows is one of the only zones where the Hellions and the CoT clash, so it would have happened here.

Tempter's look is inspired by one of the Hellion mobs – the Girlfriend from Hell – and the glowing eyes and style of sword are a nod to the Circle of Thorns. She's one of the good guys because her conflicting personalities means she wants to fight both factions... and because having placed her origin story in the Hollows it was only right that she should do that zone. When I have a character like this I will let the concept influence what they do – which zones they go to and which enemies they choose to fight. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I will lean towards CoT themed missions and story arcs. The Hellions not so much, but only because they're a low level faction that stop appearing around level 15.

I do have other similarly themed characters awaiting their turn in the spotlight. Indeed, the reason this run is another Hero rather than a Praetorian is that once I'd narrowed down the list to characters I felt like playing, all of the options were in some way themed around Paragon City or the Rogue Isles.

 

Comments