City of Heroes: Day 6

The Homecoming team are introducing a name release process that will free up the names of very low level characters that haven't been played for a while, so it's time to put some levels on another alt. That's my excuse for yet another new character anyway.

Every time I return to City of Heroes, especially if I'm coming straight from another MMO, there's a few things I notice as if for the first time.

Like the way this is probably the only MMO I can think of where pressing ESC doesn't bring up the menus. You have to click on a drop down above the health bar, but that's okay because that and clicking on doors and glowies is about all I use the mouse for in this game. I don't even need it for target selection most of the time since tab or shift-tab is usually fast enough to pick out any priority targets in a group of enemies.

I'm also, as always, taken aback by the sheer speed of movement in this game. I took a few steps and immediately checked to see if I had Sprint on. I didn't, but the default run speed and jump distance in this game would be a travel power in any other. If I could move like this in LOTRO I'd have been through the Trollshaws in half the time.

And I found myself pausing to loot a downed enemy before I remembered that mobs in this game drop loot directly into the character's inventory. It's one of those details, like the way your character automatically turns to face a targeted enemy, that make CoH more dynamic and fast moving than an MMO of this era has any right to be.

Finally, it took me a moment to remember that I'm not invincible. In most MMOs you really have to go out of your way to die in the first few levels, but here I almost faceplanted in my first fight after running into a group of Hellions who had a one level advantage over me. A couple of lucky inspiration drops (health followed by damage) were all that got me through that encounter without what would otherwise have been an embarassing trip to the hospital.

Not an auspicious start for Tempter, my new Broadsword/Fiery Aura scrapper.

 

Comments