Secret World Legends: Day 3

It's been two years to the day since I last played Secret World Legends, so before I dive back in I should review all that's changed in the game since October 2020. It's not like that will take long.

Funcom don't shut MMOs down – they're not NCSoft – but they do leave them to languish in limbo, and Secret World Legends gets about as much active development now as Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. It says something that City of Heroes – a game that sunsetted the same year The Secret World launched – is now receiving more regular updates from the volunteer team at Homecoming than SWL is from Funcom. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any official announcement that the game is in maintenance mode, but the last patch notes actually were in October 2020 so it's not exactly a stretch to assume that what we have in SWL now is all we'll ever have.

So there's a definite end point here – Tokyo being the finale of the original story arc, and the one update that followed the relaunch being an epilogue of sorts, even if it wasn't written as such.

This doesn't dissuade me from continuing the game. The story in SWL is so good that it deserves to be played all the way through at least once, and upon returning to the game said story now picks up in Egypt.

As usual when returning to a game – especially after so long – it took me a while to get back into the swing of the combat. Fortunately there was no shortage of crazed cultists running around, providing me with ample opportunity to refamiliarize myself with my combat skills and ensuring I was comfortable with what I was doing before I ran into anything more challenging.

Almost. I did manage to aggro some level 50 mobs that were loitering around in among the 30-33s and that didn't end well. I later learned that the area I'd wandered into is the location of a sabotage/stealth mission, so the 50s were there to be avoided not fought. I suppose that's one way to make sure I look where I'm going.

 

Comments