Killing time... and dungeon bosses

There's actually not a lot to do in Secret World Legends outwith the main story.  At least while levelling.

As I said a couple of days ago I've been running out the clock on this run of Secret World Legends, because while I was hanging around to pick up a few shinies from the Halloween event I didn't want to start on the next zone of the main story in Egypt with only a few hours to go.  So instead I've been looking around for other things to do and finding... not much actually.

I ran the Halloween mission, The Meowling, which is nicely done.  Being an investigation mission it is at times bafflingly opaque but I only fell back on online guides once or twice (and once was due to me having found the right clue, but not being able to read it clearly.)  I'll call that doing well.

I visited the Museum of the Occult - a kind of combo of interactive achievement log and player housing, which is a pleasant if brief distraction at this stage.

I signed up for the dungeon queue and even (gasp) the PVP queue - neither of which popped during the hour or so I was idling.  I don't intend that as a slight against the game - I intentionally chose a low pop server -  but I will say it justifies my tendency to (try to) solo the dungeons in this game, as I do in others.  It's a way to experience them when I want to rather than be left hanging at the whim of the queues.

The dungeons are pretty good.  Atmospheric locations, self contained stories that are well told without holding up the action, and a refreshing emphasis on interesting boss fights rather than lots of trash mobs.  The rewards are good too.  So far I've only beaten the first - Polaris - and am currently dying to the third boss of Hell Awakened and the second of The Darkness War.  I enjoy my forays into them though.

I also spent a fair amount of time exploring the hub zone of London, which is beautifully done, with an atmosphere and level of detail that rivals Kingsmouth.

The relative lack of things to do outwith the main story isn't necessarily a bad thing.  SWL is all about the main story and I can't imagine anyone playing this game and not wanting to keep moving through it with a minimum of distractions.  If I weren't intentionally idling to pace myself I'd already be in Egypt.

Which I will be when I return to SWL.  At least once I've worked on my wardrobe some more.  I'm feeling the need for a fedora, and possibly a white suit...

Comments