The road more travelled

"Stay on the road" was good advice in An American Werewolf in London, as it is in Secret World Legends.

I find myself travelling by road in Blue Mountain when I can.  Cutting across country can be quicker, unless there's a cliff edge in the way (and there often is) but the main roads are fairly clear of mobs and there's only so many times I want to shoot my way through that Ak'ab nest, not to mention all the other nasty things lurking off the beaten path.

Of course this is an MMO, which means there's a fast travel option, and I find I've been using that more in this zone than I have previously in this game.  Mostly due to the aforementioned mob density, and the difficult terrain.*

*I say 'difficult' but while Blue Mountain does use a lot of steep cliffs to divide up the map it feels less obstructive than similar areas in Savage Coast, perhaps due to the impassable terrain feeling more natural and less contrived than parts of that other zone.  It also helps that it's often not entirely impassable, as there's often areas where the rocks can be ascended in some way.

I have mixed feelings about fast travel.  The more I'm enjoying the atmosphere of a zone the less likely I am to use fast travel options - in this game I'm not sure I used it at all in Kingsmouth, and in Fallen Earth I used it about 3 times in total during my last long run - and that was because I needed to go all the way back to Sector One to restock some crafting materials, and that was a trip that would have taken thirty minutes or more by horse or bike.  Seeing as I was up against the clock on that run due to the impending shutdown of the game I was in more of a hurry than usual.

In other games I'll make use of fast travel more often.  Backtracking through an area I've already fought my way through in SWTOR is something I avoid when I can, especially if I've got nothing else to do there but get back to where I started from.  In LOTRO it's a necessity due to the size of the world and the tendency for quests to send you from one zone to another and back again.

SWL thus far handles fast travel well.  There's enough FT points that it's useful, but not so many that it feels overdone.  (The next game on my to-do list, coming up after this one, definitely overdoes it from what I recall.)

 

Comments