Another 24 Hours In... City of Heroes

It was in April of last year that City of Heroes returned, and with the anniversary of my first foray onto the initial server only a few days away it's a good time to go back to my favourite MMO.

(A couple of weeks ago I'd said I intend to go back to World of Warcraft this month, but then I went back and reread my posts from my last run at that game and... yeah, I'm not doing that again any time soon.)

Of course the first thing to do when returning to City of Heroes is to decide which character to play. I do try to keep my alting in check but this game is the exception to that rule, and at the end of my last run I did say that next time I'd be starting a new character.

I also said that character creation in City of Heroes is a game in itself. As it turns out, so is character selection.

Most of my character concepts in CoH start with the name, and sitting on names that you might use one day is fairly common in this game, especially when you have almost almost unlimited character slots. When the game was live I played across every server, and had two active accounts to maximise the number of characters I could pick from. I've not went quite so far since the return of the game, but I still had 80 names in my roster. Realistically I'm never going to play that many, so over the last couple of days I've let go of:

  • Characters with names that I like but that I never did decide which actual powersets to go with

  • Characters whose concept require a powerset I like the idea of but not the way it plays

  • Characters who use one or more of the same powersets as another character I like more

All of which has left me with about two dozen characters. That sounds like a lot – it is a lot – but for me, in this game, it's as few as I'll likely go.

With all that done it was relatively easy to pick a character for this run. Last time I went with a ranged Hero, so this time I'll go with a melee Villain, and while all the main archetypes are open to both sides now I've selected one of the original redside ATs.

The American Nightmare, Energy Melee/Energy Aura Brute. It's time to get out there and do some villainy!

 

Comments