Level scaling works... most of the time

There are more Arcane Wraiths in Falthrien Academy than there used to be, so making the kill quota for the final Sunstrider Isle quest is quicker now.

The Burning Crusade zones weren't reworked for Cataclysm, and Eversong Woods is much the same as it always was – aside from small changes like the increased number of Wraiths. There's no overarching narrative, and the quest flow sends you back and forth from hub to hub and even has a few questgivers a little off from the beaten track.

Also there's Murlocs to kill. Every starter zone should have Murlocs to introduce the player to the concept of being swarmed by unexpected number of enemies.

It's not my favourite zone – that comes next – but it's pleasant to look at and relaxed to play through, and the mostly idyllic scenery sets up Ghostlands nicely, as well as being a striking contrast to the Dead Scar, which is easily my favourite detail of the zone. The Scourge didn't just kill the people, it killed the land as well, and what we see in Eversong is just a hint of what is to come as we go south.

I don't like the music though. I've always found it rather monotonous, but that's honestly the worst thing I can say about Eversong Woods.

After 4 hours I'm at level 15. Before level scaling came in I'd often skip a lot of this zone if I was planning on going to Ghostlands next, since I'd already be level 10 by the time I was finished with Sunsail Anchorage. This time I did the whole zone, and the level scaling worked just fine except for one moment when Old Whitebark one shotted me with a hit that did damage equal to three times my total health.

That was an unexpected glitch, but my only death so far.

I've also yet to equip any new gear other than weapons/shields – I've only had white drops and a few useless greens so far so no great loss, and I do try to hold on to my starter gear for a while since I likely won't have matching armor again for a long time.

Comments