Too Much Too Soon Too Often

Not again...

The last time I ran a character through the 1-20 Going Rogue content I managed to outlevel the finale of the second zone. Imperial City is a 10-15 zone and I'd ended an arc at level 17. That's how level cut offs work in City of Heroes – if you're in the middle of a series of linked missions, a story arc, then you'll be able to complete that arc even if you outlevel it partway through, but you won't be able to pick up any additional arcs or other missions in that range.

At the time I wasn't sure how I'd managed to so drastically outlevel Imperial City, though I've since worked it out. My run on Mistletoe took more than two months, and in the days I wasn't playing I was still accruing rested XP, which meant I was unwittingly earning double xp for most of that run.

That's not the case this time, but I've just outlevelled the finale of Imperial City. Again.

I was level 15, and quite close to 16, but under the impression that the finale was part of the last arc and so couldn't be outlevelled. It's not and it can be. I hit 16 on completion of the final arc, and while the end text read like it led into the finale, no such mission was offered.

It's a little annoying, and a little surprising. As I've already mentioned, I've done basically no street sweeping on this character, and while that isn't the most efficient source of XP it does add up. On the other hand I've had (relative to most of my CoH runs) few defeats since level 10, so I've not had to deal with the XP penalty that builds up. Not much anyway.

This does act as a reminder of how tight the level range is in Praetoria. I may have to turn off XP again, as I did with Mistletoe, when I hit level 19, so as to avoid outlevelling the finale of the 1-20 experience.


Comments