The Planet of Galactic Peace (and superior firepower)

In Star Trek Online you can visit many locations seen in classic instalments of the series... and also Nimbus III from Star Trek V.

In its own strange way, Nimbus III is an iconic planet. Sure, Star Trek V is the worst of the TOS movies, but it is at least memorably bad, and on beaming down to Paradise City I couldn't help but smile. STO doesn't just draw from good Trek, and if you need any more proof of that let me point you to the seasonal event set on Risa...

Is it stating the obvious to say that Nimbus III is better utilized in the game than it was in the movie? Admittedly that's crossing a very low bar, but I'm enjoying my time on the Planet of Galactic Peace.

I'm scaled down to level 26, on the surface at least. I'm currently level 44... no, wait, I'm 45... or is it 46... or... look, levels come very fast in this game. Anyway, I'm scaled down and predictably I'm blazing through the combat encounters. It helps that I've been shooting it out with assorted criminal lowlife rather than the Borg.

The Collective is, indirectly, why I'm here right now. The boss fight I've mentioned previously was kicking my green ass so badly I backed off from it and went looking for something else to do while I rethought my away team's loadouts. Nimbus III has been good for that, even if it does that weird thing where about half the random drops I've been getting are Mk V (i.e. level appropriate for level 26.) The other half and the mission rewards are Mk X though.

When I went back up into orbit for a space battle I assumed I was still scaled down to level 26 and charged in recklessly. It turned out that in space I was at my actual level but I did okay anyway. I feel like I'm on or ahead of the difficulty curve in space, but still behind it (on level) on the ground. My Bird-of-Prey remains rather fragile but I've got one hell of an alpha strike.

So. Many. Guns.


Comments