Star Trek Online: Day 3

Still got my keybinds. Kahless be praised.

Returning to Star Trek Online is always an intimidating prospect. Of all the MMOs I rotate through it's one of the few that goes old school with multiple hotbars of abilities, and doubles down on that (literally) by having not one but two distinct setups - one for ground, one for space. It's a lot to take in.

So I did the same as the last time and went into the next episode, thinking I'd reacquaint myself with the controls as I went. With any luck I'd start with something easy-ish. Like... a Borg Cube. Oh well, so much for easing me back in gently. The Cube didn't kill me, much to my surprise. The D'deridex Warbird I faced off against a little later, less surprisingly, did.

But only once this time, and I got through the mission without lowering my difficulty from advanced to normal. Better than last time.

To my relief my UI setup/keybinds have saved successfully. This hasn't always been the case, especially when I'm reinstalling a game. I find myself very satisfied with the layout of my space skills and haven't felt any need to further adjust them since coming back in. My ground skills on the other hand remain a work in progress, not helped by being locked into a cycle of fight/die/respawn with an overly persistent boss.

Hey, Cryptic... keep your mobs on a leash.

I'm sitting here trying to think of any other MMORPG where an enemy that just killed me can pile in again as I'm respawning... and I can't come up with any. Some ambushes in City of Heroes continue to chase you down after a defeat and will be waiting at the door when you re-enter the mission, but even that gives you some breathing space.

(Except in Mayhem missions, which can become effectively unwinnable if you get defeated after triggering multiple ambushes and have to try to fight your way out of the jail cells through not only the cops but also ten times your weight in Longbow. Mayhems get a pass though, because you don't have to beat them to proceed and if the worst comes to the worst you can just run out the clock, and because they're awesome.)

This - the not awesome version of this - happens again and again in STO. Like it did in "Mars, Bringer of War" during my previous run, when Starfleet ended up camping the respawn point like the honorless Federation dogs they are. Like it's done in two different missions already in this run. Mobs in MMOs have a limit put on their aggro range for a reason, and this is something that STO often forgets.


Comments