The Same, but Different

After fighting trolls in Valheim I've returned to Dungeons & Dragons Online, where I fought trolls.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

One thing that often happens when I return to a game after an extended period of playing something else is that it takes a while to shake off the instinctive behaviours of the other game.  I spent my first hour or so back in DDO thinking about weight limits every time I looted a treasure chest, and my inventory felt unusually rich in slots.

On the other hand I didn't have many problems with muscle memory as my keybinds in both of these games, and all the others I play, are as similar as I can make them.  My DDO Rogue is the reason I use mouse button 4 for stealth in Valheim - it's the same one I use here.

In most MMOs this also applies to how I lay out my hotbars, though here DDO strays somewhat from the rest of the pack.  I have few attack skills in this game compared to most others, though I have a lot more supplemental abilities - both combat and non-combat - as well as four different weapon combinations that I'll often switch between during a fight.

There's also wands, other magic items and potions that I like to keep close at hand.  The sheer number of options I have open to me at any time in this game is way beyond what most offer, and the dungeons are designed in such a way that it will all come in useful sooner or later.

Of course once this mindset takes hold the urge to hold onto everything becomes hard to resist, and it took me a long time to get around to selling the dozen or more different potions that were filling up my inventory and which I'd been holding onto just in case...

Comments