Another 24 Hours In... Neverwinter

Neverwinter was the last MMO in which I reached max level, and it's likely that it will also be the next MMO in which I reach max level. This isn't because I'm playing more of this game than any other - I'm not. It's because the levelling speed in Neverwinter is insanely fast compared to just about any other MMO I've played.

I'd finished my last run having just entered the Chasm. That was perhaps not the smartest place to leave off, since I was barely on level for that zone and consequently started off with an hour or so of being repeatedly killed by plaguechanged monstrosities while settling back into the rhythm of the combat. Neverwinter differs from Dungeons & Dragons Online in the way it plays about as much as is possible for two games in the same genre.

(This is actually one of the reasons I raised the time I spend on each game from 6 hours to 24 hours. The time it takes me to get back into a particular playstyle varies from game to game and character to character, and all the more so if the character in question is already fairly advanced.)

So I returned to Stormreach Stormwind Divinity's Reach Protector's Reach Protector's Enclave to tidy up my bag and bank space and then warmed up for a bit killing the dragons in Neverdeath and Icespire Peak. In this game killing dragons is something you do while you're remembering how to handle the tough fights.

This being Neverwinter I made another couple of levels while doing this, before returning to the Chasm, and now after 4 hours back in the game I've went from 46 to 51. I'm still some way away from max level, but I can definitely see it from where I'm standing.

I'm okay with that. Most of my favourite zones in Neverwinter are level 60 or higher and I'm looking forward to diving back into them. If I also make it to the newer level 70+ content this time that'll just be a bonus.

I have to admit I'm curious about how the old endgame zones will work now. Looking at the campaign log each of them still have a recommended item level, and my recollection is that I was most of the way through a few of the early ones before I could enter the later ones without being annihilated by the first enemy that so much as looked at me. Do the new zones come before the campaigns or after them, or even alongside them?

I guess I'll find out when I get there, and at this rate it won't be long before I do.

Comments