24 Hours In... Neverwinter

"...for the moment as I close out this 24 hours I feel like I'll need something a little more instinctive, something a little more kinetic, for my next game"

So I wrote a month ago at the end of my run of Dungeons and Dragons Online, and after mulling it over I've decided that my next game will be DDO's hyperactive little brother, Neverwinter.

Unlike DDO I have a fair amount of history with Neverwinter, having played it extensively in 2018, up to and including Ravenloft. This makes it the only MMO other than City of Heroes in which I've actually experienced endgame, though that was before the level cap was raised last year from 70 to 80. This is my first time back since then.

Before then I had wondered how it compared to DDO, and if having a second, newer D&D MMO would be bad for the older game. With DDO still going strong that's clearly not the case, and having played both games I understand why. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of modern pen and paper D&D so I can't comment on how the two games compare in that respect, but I can say that Neverwinter is far more action-oriented. It's the Star Wars to DDO's Star Trek, or the New Who to DDO's Classic Who. Slicker, more polished, much faster paced... and arguably shallower.

It's damn good fun though, and much like City of Heroes it's a very easy game to just dive into and let the frenetic action take you for a ride.

 

Comments