Are we the baddies?

Sometimes I get the feeling that Mako hasn't read the bounty hunter job description.

Most of the class story for the Bounty Hunter on Nar Shaddaa isn't particularly memorable. It suffers a bit from opening with much the same action as the first stage of the planetary story, so between shooting dudes and breaking things for the Imps and shooting dudes and breaking things for myself it all got a bit blurry. The subplot about my rival was potentially interesting but was dealt with in one quick scene.

The story does have a satisfying conclusion though, and goes some way to answer a question that's been bugging me since Dromund Kaas - why is my companion so whiny?

Several of the initial companions in SWTOR lean very heavily to either the light side or the dark, and this can make things awkward if your character leans the other way. Vette is probably the most egregious example of this, and her behaviour is wildly inconsistent from scene to scene depending on whether the scene is about her or she just happens to be there.

Like Vette, Mako leans to the light side, and has a tendency to react badly if, or rather when, I gun people down when they're unarmed and begging for their lives. Now Vette being opposed to my Warrior's actions is justified - she's got no reason to side with a Sith and every reason not to - but Mako chose this life and is a literal Bounty Hunter fangirl, so why does she come over all surprisedpikachu.jpg when I kill someone I'm being paid to kill?

I'd chalked this up to another example of SWTOR's inconsistent writing, but it's actually addressed at the conclusion of the story on Nar Shaddaa. It's a good scene that shifts the portrayal of Mako from naive to idealistic. The definition of bounty hunter in the Star Wars setting is rather loose, and when all's said and done what I'm doing is mostly contract killing rather than anything even vaguely adjacent to law enforcement. Mako would like it to be otherwise.

But she's partnered up with the wrong Bounty Hunter for that.

I should add that none of this has any impact on gameplay, because no matter how many times I do something Mako disapproves of I continue to gain influence with her. For a long time now it's basically been impossible to not gain influence with companions. Actions have consequences, but only some actions.

 

Comments