24 Hours In... Requiem

It's not you, ESO, it's... actually, maybe it is you. 

After what's been the longest hiatus in the history of this blog it probably goes without saying that I wasn't really feeling Elder Scrolls Online. There were – as there always is – other reasons why this is the first time I've played an MMORPG this year, but it's still hard to avoid the sense that my indifference to ESO was a contributing factor. I've went through the process of reinstalling the game several times, but always stopped short of actually pressing Play. Why this is the case is a topic I'll save for another time – like when I take another swing at the game somewhere down the line, as I almost certainly will.

In the meantime, it's time – finally – for Requiem: Desiderium Mortis.

(aka Requiem: Bloodymare, aka Requiem: Memento Mori, aka Requiem: Rise of the Reaver. The game gets a new subtitle every so often, all of which appear to be taken from the Big Book of Black Metal Album Titles.)

I've mentioned Requiem: I'm Not Writing That Every Time in a few previous posts. It was the first MMORPG I ever played – City of Heroes being the second and World of Warcraft being the third – and for that reason if no other I've always looked on it fondly. As I've said before, the only reason I haven't revisited this game since starting this blog is that for the past few years it's been unavailable in my part of the world. In fact, until yesterday I thought that was still the case.

It was an article on MassivelyOP about forgettable imported MMOs that got me thinking about Requiem: Etc again, and after waxing nostalgic in the comments section I wandered onto Steam out of curiosity... and there it was – relaunched just over two weeks ago under it's new title, and once again available in my region. I'd already planned on returning to the blog this week, and Elder Scrolls Online was in the middle of downloading... but how could I resist the ultimate nostalgia trip? Well, I couldn't, obviously. You'll get another chance one day, ESO.

But not today. Today is a day for armored hot pants and combat stilletos. Today is a day for auto attacking and really bizarre monster design. Today is a day to get my grind on like it's 2008 all over again.

 

Comments