Master of None

Multi-classing sounds like a good idea in Dungeons & Dragons Online, but...

It was during my first 24 hours in this game that I made the decision to multi-class.  In the end I didn't go Rogue/Artificer but rather Rogue/Wizard, and I'm now 4/3 in these classes.  In theory I'm level 7. 

In theory.  In practice almost every time I've ventured into a level 7 dungeon the first or second combat encounter has ended so decisively badly that I've hurried back to level 6 quests.  This has left me wondering if my actual character is underpowered.  I daresay I'd have more hit points, and hit better/harder if I was a level 7 Rogue only, but against that there's no denying that there have been times when my access to magic has saved my violet skin.

If I'm sharp enough to make use of it.  It's also possible that the build isn't underpowered and I'm just playing very badly at the moment.  DDO is a peculiar mix of very simple gameplay - the basic combat - overlaid with layers of complexity in the additional skills I can call upon, and with a multi-class character there's a lot of them, mainly in the form of defensive and control spells.

When I'm playing well this is all to the good.  It's far more interesting to have to think about what I'm doing and react to individual encounters than it is to idly cruise along hardly ever needing to look beyond a set skill rotation.  Only I'm not playing well at the moment, and DDO is a bad game to play distractedly.

Comments

  1. Many times when it comes to combat you want to assess how to approach. Can you crowd control the mobs (a mob that can't move can't hit you)? Can you sneak up on them? Also, what are your defenses, do you have blur for example? Anything that prevents mobs from hitting you is good. After thinking about cc and defenses you can focus on the damage you're doing, what weapons and damage buffs you can use, if you're melee are you making sure to use haste (if no other source, you can buy them as 30s potions from guild vendor in house K - requires guild level 20 I believe)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no doubt I have a lot of options open to me in many encounters. Remembering to use them - that's the tricky part.

      Delete

Post a Comment